Back to Index
download printable version (MS Word .doc)
This tool kit contains the following elements:
1. Integral vision: a commitment to all sides of a conflict in all their complexity, in our minds- and in our hearts.
2. Systematic thinking: identifying all of the significant elements … understanding the relationships between these elements.
3. Presence: applying all our mental, emotional, and spiritual resources to …the conflict …
4. Inquiry: asking the questions that elicit vital information to understanding and transforming it.
5, Conscious conversation: becoming aware of full range of choices about how we can speak and listen.
6. Dialogue: Communicating in order to catalyze for capacity for bridging and innovation.
7. Bridging: Building partnerships and alliances that cross the borders that divide organizations and communities.
8. Innovation: fostering social and entrepreneurial breakthroughs that create new options for moving through conflicts.
The critical elements for the organizational leader are clear. A new world requires a new world view and new tools by organizational leaders to effectively operate within the reality of a new environmental landscape. Many organizational leaders will find this book a call to action and an invaluable wake-up call. Others, hopefully, will add some of Gerzon’s recommended tools to their own tool kits and improve their success in this rapidly moving world.
All of us would benefit from making this work a thought-provoking experience. What would happen, for example, if, as Gerzon suggests, we raised a “conflict literate generation” (p.226)? Could we, as he suggests, also use the tool kit he offers to change our world? Can we not only find better solutions to our problems, but discover missed opportunities if we let our imaginations run free to tease them out?
Whether or not you accept Gerzon’s overall hope, this is a book for all the leaders who wish a new approach and imagine a better future from their work. I hope you will take the time to reflect on its application to your own work.
As a service to our readers, you may order this month’s Reader’s Review selection by clicking on the appropriate icon below:
|Leading Through Conflict [Amazon.com]|
|Leading Through Conflict [Amazon.co.uk]|
|Leading Through Conflict [Amazon.ca]|
Back to Index
Copyright © 2006, The Negotiator Magazine